Around the BCHL – Friday, Oct. 21

BCHL-180x240Despite being outshot 47-10, the Coquitlam Express got two goals from Owen Stout and managed to defeat the visiting Wenatchee Wild 5-4.

Alex Ambrosio and Sam Kozlowski scored in the first and Cal Babych tallied early in the second to put the Express ahead by three. Wenatchee then got two quick ones from Slava Demin and Brendan Harris to pull within one but Stout got his pair after that, putting the home side back up by three.

Matt Baker got one back in the second and Chris Jones scored in the third but that’s as close as it got. Lawson Fenton made 18 saves in the first, 17 more in the third and turned away 43 of 47 overall to earn the win in net for Coquitlam.

The Cowichan Valley Capitals were outshot 9-1 in overtime but Chris Harpur made the one shot count, delivering a 5-4 road win over the Alberni Valley Bulldogs. With the game tied 1-1 after one, Alex Zawatsky scored twice in the second putting the Caps up 4-3 after 40 minutes. Jordan Sandhu got his second goal of the night for the ‘Dogs in the third to set up OT. Alberni Valley outshot the Caps 9-0 in the first OT but in the second extra session, Harpur scored 41 seconds in to win it.

A four-goal first period, including the first BCHL goal for Kenny Johnson, paved the way for the Penticton Vees in a 4-2 road win over the Merritt Centennials. Taylor Ward, Chris Klack and Ben Brar made it 3-0 before Tyler Ward got the Cents on the board. Johnson’s goal came with just over a minute left in the first and it was all the offence the Vees would need. Zach Risteau tallied in the second for Merritt that would be all the scoring on the night. Nolan Hildebrand made 26 saves for the win.

Kale Howarth scored twice, included as part of a three-goal second period, as the Trail Smoke Eaters rallied to earn a 4-3 road win over the Vernon Vipers. Jimmy Lambert and Riley Brandt scored in the first to put the Vipers up a pair but Howarth sparked the response in the second with a goal just over five minutes in. Kyle Chernenkoff and Josh LaFramboise also tallied, putting the Smokies up one heading to the third. Jagger Williamson tied the game early in the final frame but Howarth’s second goal, just 1:15 later, stood up as the winner. Linden Marshall made 45 saves for the win.

Tyler Welsh scored and assisted in the second period, helping the Victoria Grizzlies to a 4-2 home win over the Langley Rivermen. With the game scoreless after one, Welsh opened the scoring in the middle frame only to see Brendan Budy tie it shortly after. Nick Guiney tallied for the Grizz and Welsh assisted on a Cole Pickup goal making it 3-1 after 40 minutes. Max Kaufman got the Rivermen back within one in third but Jamie Rome’s empty-netter iced it for Victoria. Matthew Galajda made 37 saves for the win.

The Powell River Kings fired 23 shots on goal, and scored three times, in the second period on the way to a 6-2 home win over the Salmon Arm Silverbacks. Liam Lawson and Carter Turnbull made it 2-0 after one and in the second, Jonny Evans made it a three-goal edge before Marcus Mitchell got the ‘Backs on the board. But Curtis McCarrick and Cam Donaldson scored late in the second, making it 5-1 going to the third. Cameron Trott and McCarrick traded tallies in the third to round out the scoring. Mitch Adamyk stopped 26 shots for the win.