CALGARY, Alta. (Monday, Nov. 28, 2016) – With just over a week to go before the announcement of the rosters for both Canada East and Canada West for the upcoming World Junior ‘A’ Challenge in Bonnyville, Alta., the 10 leagues that comprise the Canadian Junior Hockey League continue their outstanding play.
The BCHL sees the Penticton Vees rolling right along as they remain atop the overall standings while the Wenatchee Wild had a great week and remain close by.
In the AJHL, the Whitecourt Wolverines have moved ahead of the Fort McMurray Oil Barons with the latter having played four fewer games than the Wolverines. Both clubs are being closely pursued by the Brooks Bandits, who have the best winning percentage in the league.
Over in the SJHL, the Battlefords North Stars are ahead of the Estevan Bruins and the surging Flin Flon Bombers.
The Steinbach Pistons are still first in the MJHL, but the Portage Terriers and Winkler Flyers are also playing well.
The Thunder Bay North Stars are a point up on the Dryden GM Ice Dogs in the SIJHL, but have played two more games.
Over in the NOJHL, the hottest club in the 132-team CJHL is the Powassan Voodoos as they are on a 17-game winning streak and have opened up a 10-point lead on their nearest competitors while the Timmins Rock are second in league winning percentage by virtue of playing less games.
The Georgetown Raiders’ fine play continues in the OJHL, but they are now behind the Trenton Golden Hawks.
Meanwhile the Carleton Place Canadians still lead the pack in the ultra-competitive CCHL with the Hawkesbury Hawks just four points in arrears and four others just six out of a share of top spot.
No. 1 College Francais de Longueuil and No. 5 Les Cobras de Terrebonne remain the front-runners in the LHJAAQ however they are being closely pursued by the Arctic de St-Leonard.
The Yarmouth Jr. ‘A’ Mariners of the MHL have just been surpassed by the Pictou County Weeks Crushers, who have jumped three points ahead in the race for first overall in that league.
The following is the latest CJHL Top 20 rankings:
CJHL TOP 20 (As of Nov. 28, 2016)
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. College Francais de Longueuil (LHJAAAQ) (1)
2. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (4)
3. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (6)
4. Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) (2)
5. Les Cobras de Terrebonne (LHJAAAQ) (5)
6. Powassan Voodoos (NOJHL) (7)
7. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (3)
8. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (8)
9. Wenatchee Wild (BCHL) (15)
10. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (9)
11. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (13)
12. Whitby Fury (OJHL) (10)
13. Cobourg Cougars (OJHL) (HM)
14. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (NR)
15. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (19)
16. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (20)
17. Timmins Rock (NOJHL) (12)
18. Whitecourt Wolverines (AJHL) (14)
19. Pictou County Weeks Crushers (MHL) (HM)
20. Dryden GM Ice Dogs (SIJHL) (11)
Honourable Mention: Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL); Bonnyville Pontiacs (AJHL); Estevan Bruins (SJHL); Winkler Flyers (MJHL); Hawkesbury Hawks (CCHL)