Fees and Costs
Q: Is there a monthly Room and Board fee that teams charge?
A: No, BCHL teams provide room and board to out-of-town players. Billet families are provided by teams at no cost to the player.
Q: Are teams permitted to charge a TEAM REGISTRATION FEE?
A: Yes, The BCHL requires that all players playing in the Bauer BCHL Showcase pay a $100 per game played fee (to a maximum of $200) in order to participate in the Showcase. BCHL Teams may require carded players to pay a separate TEAM REGISTRATION FEE. The fee is administered at the teams’ discretion and is not to exceed $800. Teams choosing to administer a fee must do so to all players on their team and in compliance with NCAA Regulations. Fee refunds must be pro-rated with a schedule of refund amount to release date clearly outlined on the team letterhead. Teams choosing to charge a TEAM REGISTRATION FEE must also submit to the league office a copy of the team form letter including the refund schedule. Individual player forms must be kept in the teams office and available upon league request.
Q: Are players provided cash allowances?
A: No, teams cannot provide players with cash allowances above room and board in order to maintain NCAA eligibility. However, teams can provide educational bursaries through scholarship funds etc.
Q: How many players can be on a BCHL Roster?
A: The BCHL Roster limit is 23 players at any time.
Q: What is an import player?
A: As of 2013, all Canadian citizens are eligible to play in any Junior A league as soon as they are age-eligible. Only American-born players are considered imports.
Q: Is there a limit as to how many imports a team can have?
A: Yes, a team may only have six import players on their roster at any one time.
Q: What equipment is provided to the player?
A: The BCHL has entered into a contract with Bauer Hockey Inc. The agreement is for three years ending at the conclusion of the 2019-20 BCHL season. Specific compliances are:
- Bauer pants, gloves, helmet/visors:
- Game and practice jerseys/socks:
- Off Ice Apparel (including warmup gear):
- BAUER SUPREME TEAM STICK ONLY:
- Each new player shall be provided with new exposed gear each season. Exposed gear to include (Helmet, visor(s), gloves and pants).
- Each player shall be provided with a minimum two (2) sticks per month during the regular season and playoffs complying with the Bauer/BCHL contract
- Returning players are permitted to wear their previous year’s exposed gear in their returning years. This gear must meet a reasonable safety standard.
Team Travel and other:
- Maximum three players per room when travelling on the road.
- All team travel must be minimum by bus.
- Meals: Game Day. Minimum three meals per day.
- Travel Day: Minimum three meals per day to include breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- The amount of meals provided by the team on the road is pro-rated by the amount of time the team is travelling. I.e. An in-division game within an hour’s distance = a post-game meal
- No-fee gym access for players.
- Travel to and from Wenatchee, Washington, USA: Canadian player out of country travel insurance (3rd party) is provided by the BCHL. USA players to provide their own family insurance while traveling in the USA.