BC Hockey League – Manager, Events
Posted: February 6, 2024
LOCATION: Lower Mainland, British Columbia
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 1, 2024
EXPECTED START DATE: March 18th, 2024
THE BC HOCKEY LEAGUE
Sending more players on to Division I college hockey every season than any other hockey league in Canada, the BCHL has established itself as a national leader in the development of young student-athletes. Considering approximately a third of today’s NHL is made up of NCAA alumni, the BCHL has become a breeding ground for some of the sport’s most elite and successful players. In 2022-23 alone, there were a league-record 190 players in the league with NCAA Division I scholarships. The new way forward and focus for the BCHL is ‘Modern Hockey’. The tagline represents a shift in culture for the BCHL as it moves into a modern style of play and operation at the team and league levels.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the strategic development and execution of the BCHL Event Strategic Plan, continuously assessing and recommending enhancements for growth.
- Organize and oversee all BCHL events, ensuring they meet the league’s strategic objectives, including the Showcase, Road Show, All-Star Weekend, Playoffs, League Combine, League Meetings and more.
- Ensure operational excellence in event execution, prioritizing safety, risk management and achieving high event standards.
- Serve as the primary liaison for host communities and organizing committees, promoting effective collaboration and ensuring the successful delivery of events.
- Manage relationships with external contractors, vendors, and service providers.
- Recruit and lead event staff and volunteers.
- Oversee event budgets to ensure financial goals are met and the events act as a profit source for the league. Ensure sponsor deliverables are met.
- Responsible for identifying, researching, and applying for eligible grants and funding opportunities locally and provincially.
- Conduct comprehensive post-event evaluations to assess performance, gather insights, and leverage feedback for future event enhancements.
- Build strong relationships with all stakeholders, including key stakeholders and communities, to enhance event experiences and support future growth.
- Stay updated on industry trends and innovations, applying new ideas to improve event formats, experiences, and audience engagement.
- Manage the event bid process.
- Research and develop league merchandising strategies, overseeing product selection, branding, and sales initiatives to boost league visibility and fan engagement.
- Coordinate league office and event travel arrangements, ensuring cost-effective and efficient travel logistics.
- Attend league office weekly meetings to provide role-related updates and fulfill additional duties as assigned by the Commissioner.
- A degree in sports administration, event management, business or other relevant fields is considered an asset.
- Minimum two years of related field experience.
- Proven organizational, management, administrative and financial skills, with the ability to deliver on objectives and performance targets.
- Demonstrate strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to lead and take initiative when addressing challenges.
- Ability to effectively organize multiple tasks and projects with attention to detail to meet deadlines.
- Execute sound judgement in decision-making and problem-solving.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a team member in the pursuit of common goals and build positive relationships with a wide variety of sponsors and partners.
- Proficiency in various technologies and software (e.g., Microsoft Office, OneDrive, and project/event management programs).
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Salary ranges between $62,500 and $67,500.
- Opportunity for an annual performance-based bonus.
- Extended Health Care.
- Work-from-home, with access to Langley, BC office as desired.
- Approved travel expenses as required, including during the events.
The BCHL is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family status or disability.
If you are interested in the Manager, Events position for the BCHL, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 16th, 2024. All responses are appreciated, however, only those selected for an interview will receive a reply.