In this week’s NCAA roundup, only one BCHL alum earned a conference Player of the Week award, but we saw a few freshmen score their first career goal and a pair of BCHL grads earn a shutout for their first-career win.
WCHA Defenceman of the Week
Edwin Hookenson – Senior – Minnesota State University Mavericks (Nanaimo Clippers)
2GP – 2G – 2PTS
The 24-year-old helped lead No. 2/3 Minnesota State to a 4-4 overtime tie and a 2-1 win over No. 16/RV North Dakota in a pair of non-conference games played in Mankato over the weekend. The Lampman, Sask., native scored twice over the course of the two games with the Fighting Hawks, with four shots on goal and one blocked shot. He tallied his first goal of the season in Friday’s 4-4 tie with UND then chalked up his first career game-winning goal Saturday when his even-strength marker at 5:21 of the third period broke a 1-1 tie and gave the Mavericks a 2-1 victory. This is Hookenson’s first career WCHA weekly honor.
Hookenson played three years in Nanaimo from 2013 to 2016, suiting up for 157 regular-season games and putting up 62 points. He also played in 42 playoff contests and totaled 11 points.
Through the first few weeks of the NCAA season, several BCHL alums have hit the first-goal milestone to start their freshman year and a couple of goalies got their first wins and, at the same time, their first shutouts.
- Harrison Blaisdell – North Dakota (Chilliwack Chiefs) – Oct. 12 vs. Canisius
- Skyler Brind’Amour – Quinnipiac (Chilliwack Chiefs) – Oct. 12 vs. American International (GWG)
- Matt Gosiewski – Bentley (Wenatchee Wild) – Oct. 12 vs. Robert Morris
- Mike Hardman – Boston College (West Kelowna Warriors) – Oct. 19 vs. Denver
- Riley Hughes – Northeastern (Victoria Grizzlies) – Oct. 12 vs. Union College
- Regan Kimens – Merrimack (Coquitlam Express) – Oct. 12 vs. Wisconsin
- Ethan Leyh – Quinnipiac (Langley Rivermen) – Oct. 11 vs. American International
- Dustin Manz – Lake Superior State (Prince George Spruce Kings) – Oct. 12 vs. Denver
- Alex Newhook – Boston College (Victoria Grizzlies) – Oct. 19 vs. Denver
- Chase Pletzke – Miami-Ohio (Langley Rivermen) – Oct. 12 vs. New Hampshire
- Christian Sanda – Union College (Coquitlam Express) – Oct. 6 vs. Army West Point
- Ryan Sandelin – Minnesota State (Penticton Vees) – Oct. 12 vs. Arizona State
- John Sladic – Miami-Ohio (Cowichan Valley Capitals) – Oct. 12 vs. New Hampshire
- Mason Snell – Penn State (Penticton Vees) – Oct. 12 vs. Sacred Heart (GWG)
- Lucas Sowder – Minnesota State (Wenatchee Wild) – Oct. 12 vs. Arizona State
- Matthew Verboon – Colgate (Salmon Arm Silverbacks) Oct. 10 vs. Ferris State
- John Hawthorne – Northern Michigan (Alberni Valley Bulldogs) – Oct. 12 vs. Michigan State (SO)
- Austin Roden – Nebraska-Omaha (Merritt Centennials) – Oct. 12 vs. Alabama-Huntsville (SO)